Thursday, September 24, 2009

Beautiful, Trashy Leeds

BLOGGING LOCATION: This sounds ridiculous, but I'm sun-tanning whilst blogging from my room. I told you it was ridiculous.

.:Trashy:.
The title is not meant to sound as harsh as it is, but it's true... because the bin men (trash collectors) are currently on strike here... I'm guessing it will take some disease or epidemic to break out before somebody does something about it. And that concludes the current events portion of my blog!


.:My Latest Experiences In a Nutshell:.

I've only been in Leeds for a week, in the UK for a bit less than a week and a half, and since then, I've gotten myself lost in an airport, misplaced some of my belongings, been emotionally prodded at by home-sickness, been in the presence of the Holy Spirit at the local church I found called Gateway, bought my own kitchen/living supplies, been bum-rushed by a hobo in an enclosed bus stop, karaoke'd to Backstreet Boys' "Everybody", bought a replacement computer and had rugby explained to me in a Birmingham accent. Truly a full week.



At Costa Coffee with my pal Kayla



Night out with the EAP group!

.:Why On Earth Are You Doing This To Yourself?:.
People ask me why I chose to study abroad. It is none of these reasons:
a. Bring a cute foreign boy home
b. Pick up a different language/accent
c. Party because the drinking age is lower
My honest-to-God answer is that I need to grow up! I've never really been really independent for a long period of time. So far, in Leeds, I've already been put to the test, but more trials to come... Anyways, onward!

.:My Flat:.
So, here apartments are called flats. I'm just a few plates, a knife and a cutting board short of being settled in (if you want to count it that way). I've met all my flatmates and luckily for me they're decent people. From now on, when I refer to my flatmates, I mean 1 girl from Spain, 3 UK guys, and a partridge in a pear tree. Just about all of us are suffering from Freshers (freshmen) Flu at the moment, as are a lot of the other UC EAP people I came over with. I think we're managing quite well though. THINK POSITIVE.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh Costa coffee. love it.

    you will definitely become an independent woman by the time you leave that country. i think studying abroad is like a "quick fix" for dependency haha

    ReplyDelete